Featured Post

Review: Leatherstocking Golf Course (Part 1)

Most people who visit Cooperstown, New York, are going to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It is the obvious reason to visit the town...

Saturday, August 24, 2013

The News

I'll be honest, I knew it was going to be work maintaining a daily blog, but I'm struggling here to come up with something new and novel here everyday, and it's proving difficult with there not being a whole lot of interesting news.  Well, some might argue with that, but I'm talking about about real and educational stuff, you know, news that expands your horizons.  All I see now is the latest outrage about somebody dying or some sort of tragedy, and I don't know, it just doesn't get my blood boiling.  I know seeing all that upsets a lot of people, but for some reason, I just can't bring myself to care all that much.  But hey, that's what happens when we have cameras everywhere, and where anybody with an internet connection can have a big voice.  Maybe I'm jaded, maybe I have a thick skin, I don't know.  I don't want to say that I don't want to see the negative side of the world because frankly, it's important that we do see every story.  But we don't see every story, we only see the news that gets people's attention, and that news is usually bad.  People don't pay to know that life is good, they pay to see tragedy, so that's we get.  To be honest, it's little wonder that if you ask somebody on the street, they'll tell you that these are difficult times we live in, what with all the problems in the world.  But let's be honest here, our problems pale in comparison to those of the past.  We certainly don't live under threat of nuclear annihilation, or with World Wars, or Great Depressions, or real labor problems.  People complaining that the minimum wage isn't enough, that it hasn't been adjusted for inflation?  At least they're making money in relatively safe conditions.  At least they're not tied to the company like serfs.  The fact is, the world is as much at peace as it has ever been, but you'd never know it, because we don't hear about it.  We'd rather hear the bad news, because let's face it, it's just easier to be indignant.

No comments:

Post a Comment