Featured Post

Review: Leatherstocking Golf Course (Part 1)

Most people who visit Cooperstown, New York, are going to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It is the obvious reason to visit the town...

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Team Fortress Tuesday #3

I completely forgot about this last week, but TFTuesdays are back.  This time around, I want to talk about a controversial group that you can find in any game, but have a real onus in Team Fortress 2.  I'm talking about those players who are bad at the game.  I recall reading something on World of Warcraft that I think is all too true for any online game, "The only thing they hate more than people who don't play are the people who are new to the game."  I feel that sentiment works especially well for Team Fortress 2.  As you might know, the game became free to play a little more than two years ago.  This opened the floodgates for all sorts of people to download the game and give it a try.  I should know, I was one of them.  It also meant that any sort of bad player was labeled a F2P and vigorously insulted.  While that insult doesn't get tossed around as much anymore, I still see anybody who is bad at the game get abused for being bad at the game.  I see it a lot, because I play on the basic Valve servers.  I don't know, maybe it's because I've been there, but I just don't understand why it's so fashionable to dump on new players.  I see some guy whiffing every shot and moving in a completely incomprehensible fashion, I don't get mad, I laugh.  We have four Snipers on a team?  I'll join them.  If it becomes clear that we're not going to win because the other team is just better than us, it's not a big deal to me.  Sure, winning is fun, but I'm not going to break my back over trying to achieve something that isn't going to happen.  I mean, what sort of mean-spirited person doesn't crack a smile watching some laggy Spy waving their knife in an enemy Heavy's face? 

No comments:

Post a Comment