Featured Post

Review: Leatherstocking Golf Course (Part 1)

Most people who visit Cooperstown, New York, are going to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It is the obvious reason to visit the town...

Friday, August 23, 2013

College

So, college is starting up in a couple of days, and for me, it's my last semester.  I've got 6 classes, one more than normal, but since one of my classes is a gym class, I needed an extra one.  It's interesting, in only a few months, I'll be done with school for the rest of my life.  Like most people my age, I don't remember a time when I didn't have school looming over my head.  That sounds negative, but I mean that in a positive way, I like school, I like learning.  I'm going to miss obligatory learning.  Of course, being an English major, there's been so many subjects that I've been able to completely neglect.  It's kind of sad how little I've had to deal with math and the sciences.  I came into college with credits from AP tests, so I only had to take one science class and no math classes.  I'm actually taking an extra science class this semester, because I like learning about science.  It's kind of sad, I haven't taken any sort of math since high school, I've forgotten more about math than most of my fellow English students ever knew.  In one of my classes last semester, one of the things we had to read dealt with quantum mechanics, and let me tell you, no one had any idea what any of it meant.  I tried explaining it because I'd done some reading a few years back, and I understood it.  Well, as much as any layperson would.  But explaining those concepts to a bunch of English majors, a bunch of people who should be reasonably intelligent felt like I was talking to a wall.  I kept it simple, I really did, but honestly, I wanted to beat my head against a wall.  We just don't learn enough in college.  I really think every college student would benefit from a balanced class list.  Taking more than basic classes outside of your major would make everyone a better person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment