Featured Post

Review: Leatherstocking Golf Course (Part 1)

Most people who visit Cooperstown, New York, are going to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It is the obvious reason to visit the town...

Friday, August 9, 2013

The Definition of 'Favorite'

Judging from what I see browsing the Web, I think there's a lot of confusion on what 'favorite' actually means.  A lot of people see someone using that word and think that person means 'greatest,' or 'best.'  This is not necessarily the truth, and in fact usually isn't.  The difficulty stems from the fact that it is nearly impossible to objectively declare something to be the best, so instead people substitute in their own personal opinions, which is worse.  Something doesn't have to be great to be one of my favorites, and just because something is great doesn't mean I have to like it.  For example, one of my favorite bands is Electric Light Orchestra, yet by no stretch of the imagination would I consider them a great band.  Very good, yes, but not great.  Sticking with music, I recognize the Beatles as being one of the greatest musical acts ever, but I still don't really like them.  Another example, I really like The Big Bang Theory, but I wouldn't consider it a great TV show.  It's amusing, but not earth-shattering.  On the flip side, I thought Breaking Bad is painfully boring, but I'm willing to admit that it's a highly-influential and quality show.  In summary, 'favorite' signifies an opinion, while 'great' or 'best' signify a fact.  If people could just wrap their heads around that, the internet would be a much more pleasant place.

No comments:

Post a Comment