Featured Post

Review: Leatherstocking Golf Course (Part 1)

Most people who visit Cooperstown, New York, are going to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It is the obvious reason to visit the town...

Sunday, July 21, 2013

British Open 2013

I can't believe the day has come where Phil Mickelson won a British Open.  At Muirfield no less, probably the least forgiving course of his particular brand of erratic play.  I've been watching this tournament for 13 years now, and every time I took comfort in the thought that Phil Mickelson would never win a British Open.  I'm sorry, but I don't care for him.  He's got the world's goofiest smile, and it just bugs me.  It's unfortunate, because otherwise I could relate, we both play an aggressive game and rely on our ability to recoer.  Of course, he does it a little better than I do.  And I suppose I have to give credit where credit is due, he shot a 66 today, so he won it fair and square.  It might have been nice if everyone else hadn't choked and given him a run, but I think Phil does deserve this one.  It pains me to say that.  The golf course looked spectacular, brown and fast, the way a links course is supposed to look and play.  The past few have been green fests, and frankly that makes for a less interesting British Open.  I'm sorry country club golfers, but you're spoiled.  Fast and firm conditions are just more fun, I honestly look forward to seeing my home course brown out in the summer because it makes it more challenging and more interesting.  I'd love to see conditions like it more often on the Tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment