Featured Post

Review: Leatherstocking Golf Course (Part 1)

Most people who visit Cooperstown, New York, are going to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It is the obvious reason to visit the town...

Monday, July 22, 2013

A Short Story, Part 2



Here's another section of a short story I wrote fairly recently, you can find the first part here:

             

             I nodded in appreciation, and the barman walked off to attend to his other customers.  I shot down the bourbon and walked out to grab my bags.  When I got outside, I was amused to see three men staring intently at my car.  This didn’t happen often enough. 
            “Is this the 4.2 or 3.8?” the man in a Led Zeppelin shirt said. 
            “It’s the 4.2,” the man with the cowboy boots replied.
            “How do you know?” the man with a gray beard and military beret said.
            “Because it says ‘Jaguar 4.2 Litre E-type’ on the back,” the cowboy smiled.
            “Can I help you gentlemen?” I said loudly.  The three of them jumped in unison and turned around to face me.
            “Uh, we were just looking…” the first man’s voice trailed off.
            “It’s alright,” I smiled.  “I don’t mind at all.  Name’s Eric.  I’m new in town.”
            “I’m Bob,” the first man said, “that’s Stephen,” pointing to the second man, “and that’s Bill,” pointing to the third man.
            “This is one helluva car,” Stephen said.  “How long you had it?”
            “About a year,” I replied.  “I found it sitting in a recycling plant, about to get destroyed.  I couldn’t let that happen.”
            “Who in God’s name would destroy an E-type?” Bill was incredulous.  “It’s gotta be worth at least a hundred grand.”
            “It was a recycling plant in Boston.  I used to live in Boston.”  The three of them immediately understood.
            “I’m surprised that the damn thing even got to a recycling plant,” Bob said.  “I can’t believe it wasn’t destroyed as soon as people saw it.  I mean, my cousin nearly got lynched when he drove his Camaro into Denver.  And Denver’s bad, but it ain’t that bad.”
            “You don’t have to be mild about it,” I said.  “Boston’s full of militant environmentalists.  I mean it too.  It’s literally the only thing they think about.  Every city in the Northeast is like that, and it’s starting to spread to the towns as well.  It’s an entirely different place.  Riots in the cities, industry under siege, it’s awful.  And of course, the damn government hasn’t done anything to stop it.”
            “Well, course not,” Bob was bitter.  “President’s as green as the rest of them.  Thank God we got a Republican governor.”
            “Exactly.  That’s why I left.  I couldn’t take the madness anymore.  So I took the Jag and left.  It wasn’t easy, I had to pay off four different people, and sneak the car out in the middle of the night.  Driving this thing through Massachusetts and New York was probably the most dangerous thing I’ve ever done.”
            “I can imagine,” Bill said.  “So, what’re you doing now?”
            “Driving,” I said.  “I’ve been driving ever since I left.  To be honest, finding this car was the greatest thing that’s ever happened to me.  I never felt at home in Boston, and this car gave me an excuse to leave.  I haven’t gone back.  Haven’t even been tempted.”
            “So you been driving for a year then?” Stephen was shocked.
            “Yup,” I said.
            “Well, we can at least make you feel at home here,” Bob said.  “You play pool?”
            “I’ve spent a lot of time in bars,” I grinned.  “Of course I play pool.”
            “Good, let’s go,” Bob smiled, and we walked into the bar.  We got some drinks, and set right to work with our game.  It didn’t take long for me to figure out that these guys knew what they were doing.  Normally, I swept up everyone I played, but Bob and Bill worked like a machine.  I was impressed.
            “You’re good,” Bob said to me after the third game.  “Bill never gets a good partner, he must be thrilled.”
            “I am,” Bill said.  “I don’t suppose you’re planning on sticking around, Eric?  We could sure use a guy like you around here.”  The question threw me for a moment.  I had never stayed in a town for more than one night.  The fact that I even had to think about it was shocking. 
            “I don’t know,” I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment