Featured Post

Review: Leatherstocking Golf Course (Part 1)

Most people who visit Cooperstown, New York, are going to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It is the obvious reason to visit the town...

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Goat Simulator

For this (slightly after) April Fool's post, I thought I'd give me thoughts on what is possibly the greatest idea for a video game ever.  Goat Simulator was released on Steam today, and while there is absolutely no hope of running it on my laptop, I have managed to play it.  Luckily, my roommate shares my conviction for realistic goat-based gameplay.  I've given it a couple hours of my time, and it is an absolutely hilarious game, well worth the ten dollar price.  However, that has to come with a disclaimer, which I'll get to later.

The premise is simple enough.  You're a goat in a small town, and your task is to create as much mayhem as possible.  You get points for doing things, but these are points in the style of Whose Line Is It Anyway, because they really don't matter.  What does matter is the absolutely ridiculous gameplay, which was partly by design, but mostly due to the incredible number of glitches present in the game.  Seriously, the studio left them in because they were hilarious.  And they are.  You can go around the town, completing various little challenges and finding items, which upgrades your goat with new, amazing powers.  Things can get ridiculous when you get enough powers.  At one point, I found myself inside a cluttered house with the following abilities: I could suck objects in and make them swirl around me, I could summon additional goats from the sky, I could shoot baseballs from a shoulder mounted baseball cannon, and I had a completely uncontrollable jetpack.  The sheer mayhem I could cause was incredible.  I loved every minute of it.

Now, for the disclaimer.  Now, I would recommend that people buy this game, but only if you are willing to accept the game as, well, not really a game.  There isn't a win condition, and you're not going to get anything out of it but sheer entertainment.  So, if you're the sort of person who likes to complain about things, the kind of person who expects everything to have a purpose, I would steer clear of this game.  However, if you're the sort of person who would spend money for the sake of a joke, Goat Simulator is the perfect thing for you.  It really is great.

My Other Blogs
Cool Science News
Cool Golf News

My Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment