Featured Post

Review: Leatherstocking Golf Course (Part 1)

Most people who visit Cooperstown, New York, are going to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It is the obvious reason to visit the town...

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Runescape Reminiscing

I used to play Runescape.  I suppose this isn't a shocking statement, a lot of people did.  I started in early 2007, right at the game's prime, and I played on and off until early 2012.  There were times when I would play for hours every day for weeks on end, and there were times when I wouldn't log on for 6 months.  But through those 5 years, I scraped together a perfectly decent character with a Quest Cape and 99 Thieving.  In its day, it was actually kinda fun, even the parts where you spent hours chopping a tree or pickpocketing some guy.  I haven't picked up the game in two years now, and although I've been tempted to because of some offer or deal or something, I haven't, and I really don't think I will.  Runescape is made for people who have long hours to kill, and don't have any other responsibilities, a statement you could make about any MMORPG, but since Runescape is the game I played, that's what I'll stick with.  There's a reason I prefer Team Fortress 2 now, it fits into an adult's busier lifestyle.  There's no leveling up, no grinding.  You can play for an hour a couple times a week, you get your gaming fix, and it doesn't eat up your life.  With the MMORPG's like Runescape, the associated grind is just not feasible for adults.  You can play, but you don't get much out of it.  While I had fun playing Runescape, I think it is definitely a game for kids, and I don't see myself going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment