Featured Post

Review: Leatherstocking Golf Course (Part 1)

Most people who visit Cooperstown, New York, are going to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It is the obvious reason to visit the town...

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Cedar Ridge Golf Club Review

Yes, another golf course review.  Hey, been playing some new ones, and it is very exciting.  Today, the course in question is Cedar Ridge in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.  It's actually right next door to Meadow Brook, which I played a couple of months ago.  Couldn't see one from the other, but they're less than a mile apart, I think.  They're fairly similar courses too, neither are very long, both are on fairly small properties, though Cedar Ridge is comfortably bigger than Meadow Brook.  Not big, by any means, but they didn't run out of room and stick in some kind of wacky holes.  Too bad, because given the choice between the two, I'd definitely take Meadow Brook.

Condition-wise, there's no contest, Cedar Ridge is in much better shape.  It's not ready to host the professionals, but there is green grass in places other than the greens.  The conditions of the greens were about the same, but I preferred Meadow Brook to Cedar Ridge, the greens at Cedar Ridge just seemed a bit off to me.  The fairways were ridiculously narrow, I only hit one out of fourteen, which is one more than my younger brother, who shot a 73.  Sure, they may not have been important to hit, but it's nice to do so anyway.  So, in that regard, these two course are alike.

There is something that I have to address, something that is most definitely affecting my judgment of Cedar Ridge.  Trees.  I spent all day dealing with trees, and I was getting real sick of it.  I managed an 80, even with having to hit under/around/over/through/into trees on more than half of the holes.  I don't know if I could have managed 73, but I would have done better than 80.  The place doesn't even have that many trees, but I was managing to find all of them.  I believe there were only three holes where I didn't have tree trouble, not counting the par 3's, of course.  Then again, a tree did provide me with what my brothers and I all agreed was the luckiest shot they or I had ever witnessed.  On the 11th hole, a 95 yard par 3 over a pond, I hit a big pull into trees long and left, only for the golf ball to come bounding back onto the green and stopping about 7 feet away from the hole.  I missed the birdie (of course), but that shot was ridiculous.

The course started off with four par 4's in a row, none of them very long, with the third hole being just under 300 yards.  Nothing really interesting about them.  Really, none of the holes on the front nine are all that interesting, it's pretty standard parkland golf in southern Pennsylvania.  Not really very much in the way hazards, or interesting features, just golf.

The back nine is a little more interesting.  The tenth is a short par 4 where you can't drive it more than 220 yards, with ponds cutting the green off from the fairway.  I've already mentioned the tiny 11th hole, and after a mid-length par 5 and a par 4 flanked by trees, the 14th is probably the most difficult hole on the course.  It's 430 yards, the fairway isn't wide, and there's out-of-bounds left.  I hit a good drive, terrible second, and miraculously got up and down for par.  Seriously, that doesn't happen often.  The 15th is similar to the 10th, where a pond cuts the hole in two, but the hole is a bit longer, so the second is longer as well.  The 16th is an awkwardly narrow short par 5, and the 17th is a short par 3, which my youngest brother played in a most ingenious fashion.  He took out his cleek (the equivalent of a two iron, but a wood, gave it a little three-quarter swing, and stopped a few feet past the hole.  Got it way closer than my other brother or I did, and we used more traditional wedges.  The last hole was another short par 4, which I birdied with a good drive, a good pitch, and a six foot putt.


So, why did I prefer Meadow Brook over Cedar Ridge?  Well, other than the aforementioned trees, Meadow Brook was just more fun.  It was goofy, it was silly, it was more enjoyable.  Cedar Ridge tried to take itself seriously, but it's just not good enough for it.  Meadow Brook felt like it had a sense of humor, so for that reason, if you're considering an inexpensive round of golf in the Gettysburg area, I would recommend Meadow Brook.

 My Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment