Featured Post

Review: Southern Pines Golf Club (Part 1)

For our final golf course on this North Carolina getaway, we turn to Southern Pines, which would appear on a surface level to be the third m...

Sunday, September 6, 2026

Beer of the Week

The beer: Damnation

The brewery: Russian River Brewing Company, Santa Rosa, California

Description (from the website): "Damnation, the first in our long line-up of Belgian-inspired beers, is a medium-bodied golden ale. We ferment Damnation with a Belgian yeast strain that gives it notes of fruit and spice. Damnation is refermented in the bottle to create its fine carbonation. Pour slowly, allowing the natural yeast sediment to remain."

Would I buy it again? Russian River is a big name in the beer world. It has the fifth-highest rating of all the breweries on Untappd, with their Pliny the Elder IPA leading the way in terms of their offerings. I didn't figure I'd ever have a Russian River beer, seeing as the brewery is on the far side of the country, but lo and behold, there's a beer shop within walking distance that sells all sorts of interesting and rare beers. 

So, was Damnation worth the $10 price tag? Uh, no. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty good. I was initially put off because the beer is surprisingly bitter, but I quickly grew to appreciate the depth of flavor. It's really pretty good, and the bitterness gives way to a more traditional Belgian beer flavor. But it's still not worth $10. No way. Half the price, maybe, but since that probably won't ever happen, I do not see myself buying this beer again.

No comments:

Post a Comment