Featured Post

Review: Leatherstocking Golf Course (Part 1)

Most people who visit Cooperstown, New York, are going to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It is the obvious reason to visit the town...

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Team Fortress Tuesday #11

A lot of times, when you play an online video game long enough, you get attached to certain items.  There's no good reason for it, the items are virtual, but you can't help feeling something for them.  Back when I played Runescape, I was very proud of my Thieving skill cape, and I wore it around everywhere.  It was my first (and only) 99, and to this day, I still feel a bit of pride in owning it.  I got a Quest Cape, but I never felt the same sense of achievement, even though the effort was about the same. 

Team Fortress 2 has proven to be no different.  I have plenty of items in my backpack, and they're all basically interchangable and not particularly special in any way, but despite this, a couple of things have more value to me, and are even a bit special.  My strange Degreaser for Pyro was the first strange weapon I ever got, and since Pyro has always been a favorite of mine, it has just grown on me so much.  Sure, the Degreaser is the best choice for what I do when I play Pyro, but I'm attached to the thing, I genuinely enjoy using it, and I would never consider getting rid of it. 

The same feeling goes for my strange Crusader's Crossbow.  While it isn't nearly as old, I've been using the Crossbow for a very long time.  There's just something about it that appeals to me, and because of that, I don't think I've used any of the syringe guns in a year and a half.  I held off on getting a strange version because I figured, "Oh, I'll never be able to level it up all the way, what's the point?"  But I did get one eventually, and I am very glad I did.  Sure, I'll never see the day when it reaches Hale's Own.  At the same time though, I don't feel any pressure to level it up, and I can just have fun with the thing.  The Crossbow is a great weapon, and although I've only got 186 kills on mine, there are a lot of funny stories that I've gotten along the way.  I have 3400 kills on my Degreaser, and I have over 14,000 on my strange Rocket Launcher, but I don't remember them.  They don't have stories like my Crossbow does.

No comments:

Post a Comment