Featured Post

Review: Leatherstocking Golf Course (Part 1)

Most people who visit Cooperstown, New York, are going to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It is the obvious reason to visit the town...

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Beer of the Week

The beer: Vienna Lager

Brewed by: Devil's Backbone Brewing Company, Lexington, Virginia

Description (from the website): "This is our Ol’ Faithful. No, it’s not a geothermal phenomenon. It’s the beer everybody, including professional beer judges, just seems to dig. Maybe they like how it’s smooth, medium-bodied, and semi-sweet, while not too heavy or bitter. Maybe it’s the amber color, or the blend of four imported malts balanced by two Germanic hops, or the fact that it takes five weeks to get right. Or maybe it’s all the above."

Would I buy it again?: Yes, but I'm going to offer a caveat. This isn't the first time I've bought this particular beer, and it probably won't be the last. However, this beer does have an issue. It's basically a Yuengling but it costs almost twice as much. Now, I won't deny it's better than a Yuengling, but is it twice as good? No. It's a standard lager, it's good but I don't think a regular lager can be particularly earth-shattering. So if value is important, stick with Yuengling. If it isn't or you can only drink beer from a real microbrewery, then this is a good alternative lager. I'll usually go for the Yuengling myself, but I'm not opposed to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment