Featured Post

Review: Leatherstocking Golf Course (Part 1)

Most people who visit Cooperstown, New York, are going to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It is the obvious reason to visit the town...

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Central Pennsylvania Artsfest 2014

For the second year in a row, I was in State College for Artsfest, a big festival featuring...well, art.  All sorts of arts and crafts, from paintings to woodcarving to live music to handmade clothes, there are so many different things out there on the streets.  I remember I was not prepared for the sheer number of tents out there when I first saw it.  There are hundreds of people set up downtown and on campus, closing down several roads.  No big ones, but still, it's impressive.

More than 100,000 people attend Artsfest every year, and I can understand why.  Sure, a not inconsiderable number of those people are
college kids who just use it as an excuse to drink excessively.  But people do come here to buy things, and I'm sure a lot of people did plenty of business over the course of the event.  I can't say I'm much of a people person, but even I didn't mind being out there in the crowds, walking around looking at all the little stalls, stopping occasionally when I saw something that I liked.  Being unemployed and recently graduated, I had no money, but if I did, I would definitely buy myself some art, because I like art. 

You can't go far at Artsfest without hearing some live music.  It's good music too, tending towards jazz and folk, but I'm sure there's something for anybody with a good ear for music.  Just ignore the terrible college kids who use the music to blast their own terrible music, college kids are just terrible people.  I'd just like to drive that point home right now.  They're terrible.  All of them.  I was walking down, and there was just the worst music blaring from one of the nearby frat houses.  It wasn't just that the music was bad, but the sound quality was atrocious too.  It sounded like they'd worked the bass too hard on the stereo, because college kids love excessive bass, so it just came out so poor.

I got off topic there, didn't I?  Anyway, I only explored State College's Artsfest this year.  I didn't know until this weekend that Boalsburg, right next to State College, has its own Artsfest, featuring Pennsylvania-exclusive artists.  Guess I'll have to go back next year.  I just wish I had gotten a picture of the steak on a stick billboard.  Chicken on a stick, sure, but never seen steak on a stick before.  So yes, if you like art, or supporting local artists, Artsfest is great if you're in the region.

My Other Blogs
Science Universe
Cool Golf News

My Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment