Featured Post

Review: Leatherstocking Golf Course (Part 1)

Most people who visit Cooperstown, New York, are going to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It is the obvious reason to visit the town...

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Trademarking Pi

Apparently not even mathematical constants are safe from copyright laws.  Someone got a trademark the symbol for pi followed by a period, which is silly to begin with, and is apparently very determined to keep their trademark.  Now, I don't really care about this shirt store that has a bunch of pi shirts, but this entire thing is just baffling.  How could the U.S government give a trademark for that?  Are we going to have issues using the pi symbol in mathematics now because it looks suspiciously similar to this guy's trademark? 

Honestly, this sounds like a made-up story, and it might be yet.  I hope it is.  But I trust that particular news source, and considering all the details, I don't think it is fake.  I think this is only going to apply to shirts, I don't think we'll have to find a new symbol for pi because it got trademarked, but really, that symbol should never have been trademarked in the first place, in any capacity.

On a completely unrelated note, this is 100 posts for this blog.  It may have taken 321 days to get there, but considering there was basically a four month gap of absolutely nothing, and that I've split my content into three different places, it isn't terrible.  Just thought I'd point that out.

My Other Blogs
Science Universe
Cool Golf News

My Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment