Featured Post

Review: Leatherstocking Golf Course (Part 1)

Most people who visit Cooperstown, New York, are going to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It is the obvious reason to visit the town...

Sunday, April 14, 2024

Beer of the Week

The beer: Dirty Bastard

The brewery: Founders Brewing Company, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Description (from the website): "The beer that puts us on the map, it’s so good it’s almost wrong. With dark ruby in color, Dirty Bastard is brewed with seven varieties of imported malts. This beer has a complex in finish, with hints of smoke and peat, paired with a malty richness and a right hook of hop power to give it the bad attitude that a beer named Dirty Bastard has to live up to. Ain’t for the wee lads."

Would I buy it again? I think I had this beer a couple times back in college, but I'd kind of forgotten about it, and college was a depressing number of years ago at this point. So, I was expecting "malty sweetness" when I took my first sip, as the front of the bottle advertised. 

That is not what I received.

Dirty really is a good adjective to describe this beer. There is definitely a smoky, peaty taste to it, and it is hoppier than you'd expect. Quite frankly, this is a challenging beer; not easy to drink, and harsh to the taste. But I don't know, there's something strangely appealing about it. Sometimes it's interesting to have a challenge, and this is definitely a well-made beer. I wouldn't rush out for another one, but I could definitely be persuaded in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment