Featured Post

Review: Leatherstocking Golf Course (Part 1)

Most people who visit Cooperstown, New York, are going to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It is the obvious reason to visit the town...

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A Trip to Troegs Brewery

Some of my friends and I recently went up to the Troegs brewery in Hershey, Pennsylvania.  We got a tour of the place, got to taste some very good and rare beers, and then went to the bar there for more beer.  I was surprised by the size of the place, the brewery was in a very large building, and the size of the operation inside was equally large.  This was only a microbrewery that produced about 60,000 cases a year, I can't imagine how big the operation is at a much bigger brewery.  Sure, they probably have multiple factories, but still, its a lot of beer.

One of the tanks where the beer-making process begins
The tour was very informative, and of course, there was plenty of beer.  Certainly one of the highlights was getting to try a beer before it was completely finished, or what they referred to as green beer.  It still tasted like beer, and it was beer, but at the same time it was completely different, and actually not too bad taste-wise.  There were a whole lot of fermenting chambers, and they were very big, and very expensive, apparently.  
A few of the fermenting tanks

Through a happy coincidence, we went on the brewery during Craft Beer Week.  None of knew that was a thing until our tour guide mentioned it.  What it meant was that we got to sample some very special beers.  Troegs makes their primary beers, but they also make what they call their Splinter series of beers.  We got to have two of those, Gold and Brown.  The Gold was particularly interesting, it tasted like apples and was more than a little reminiscent of white wine.  We had two other special kinds of beer, one of which is aged in old bourbon barrels, and that was very good too.  You could definitely taste the bourbon.  I enjoyed all the special beers, although I think there were quite a few of my friends who did not.  I got to have a bit extra because some people didn't finish, which I was perfectly okay with.
Barrels in the tasting room filled with beer.

This is where the Splinter beers are brewed.  It's a much smaller operation.
Next we moved to the bar, where I had a Sunshine Pils, their summer beer, and a Belgian Saison.  I preferred the Belgian over the Pils, the Pils had a wheaty aftertaste I didn't care for.  Of course, you can't go to a brewery like that and not bring back any beer.  Well, I don't, anyway.  So, I've got a 6-pack with 6 different beers just waiting to be drunk.  I've never had Troegs before this trip, so these will be all new experiences for me.  This is a lot of ado about beer, but hey, enjoying a good beer is one of life's great pleasures.
















My Other Blogs
Science Universe
Cool Golf News

My Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment