Featured Post

Review: Leatherstocking Golf Course (Part 1)

Most people who visit Cooperstown, New York, are going to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It is the obvious reason to visit the town...

Thursday, September 25, 2014

2014 Ryder Cup Prediction

Gleneagles Hotel...Listen, this was the only sort of related picture in the public domain I could find.
The Ryder Cup starts tomorrow up at Gleneagles in Scotland. Why they decided to have it there instead of one of the several links courses proven under championship conditions is beyond me, but there's not much use in complaining about it now. I guess it's the same reason they had the Ryder Cup at boring, inland courses in Ireland and in Wales...money.

Anyway, there's certainly been plenty of press about the Ryder Cup, maybe even more so than there's been in the past. Maybe it's just because I'm paying a little bit closer attention, but there seems to be stories about every little bit of news coming from the Ryder Cup.  Honestly, I think it might be for two reasons: first, and I hate saying it because Europe is stupid, but they're going to win, and second, it feels like there are very few people on either side playing well. Europe's got McIlroy and maybe Garcia playing decent, but that's about it in the past few months. And the American's who've been playing the best right now aren't in Scotland. Thanks a lot Chris Kirk and Billy Horschel for waiting until after the captain's picks to start playing well. Europe's dragging out a bunch of guys who haven't played well in months or even years just because they've done well in Ryder Cups in the past, and half of America's team got in because so many people have pulled out for whatever reason. Tiger and Jason Dufner have injuries, and Dustin Johnson was definitely not suspended for drug use. He is most definitely taking a voluntary break from golf. That is what is happening. So, neither side feels like it's putting its best foot forward.

I'm sure I'll do plenty of watching, and I'm sure I'll get extremely angry at our sides complete inability to do anything and Europe's uncanny ability to make every single putt they look at. Hmm, I've already said I think Europe's going to win, haven't I? Ignore that, it'll be 15-13 America, because I do not want to be happy on Sunday night after Europe wins 15.5-12.5. Go America, don't fumble it like last time. I believe Jim Furyk can remember how to play golf on a Sunday, that Phil won't 3 putt a five footer on the back nine like he loves to do, that Patrick Reed can manage to break 80 over the weekend, that those captain's picks will play better than they did over the Fed-Ex Cup. Seriously, what did any of them even do over the last three weeks, other than withdraw? Hmm, so much optimism here.

My Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment