Featured Post

Review: Leatherstocking Golf Course (Part 1)

Most people who visit Cooperstown, New York, are going to see the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It is the obvious reason to visit the town...

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Gunpowder Golf Course Review: Part 2

Yes, it's the exciting conclusion to my review of my new home course. It's the back nine today, which in my opinion is the better of the two. Since I've already given my introduction, we'll just get right to business.

The tenth hole is a shortish par 4, with a semi-blind tee shot. The hole is completely straight, and while there is a fairway bunker, I don't have to worry about it. I imagine some people do though. The green is pretty straightforward, though it is slightly elevated above the surrounding fairway. It's one of the few opportunities I get to use my driver, which is very unappreciated on this golf course.
The eleventh hole is a short par 4, doglegging sharply to the left. I suppose that if the tee is positioned correctly and you can hit a big high draw, this green might be drivable. I can do neither of those things, so it's a layup with an iron for me. The second shot plays up the hill to a green with a significant false front. I would highly recommend not going above the hole, especially when the green has dried out and the hole is on the front half of the green. Speaking from experience, it is extremely easy to putt right off the green.
The twelfth hole is a short par 3, playing across a small valley. This is one of those short little par 3's where you really, really want to hit the green, because there really aren't any good places to miss. Right isn't the worst, but short and left obviously leave you a very difficult uphill pitch, and if you miss long, it can very easily bounce off into the trees. Either an easy par or you may have to work for bogey, short of a great recovery shot.
The thirteenth hole is a very drivable par 4, playing slightly uphill. There's a bunker right and slightly short of the green, and a bunker left of the green. Now, I say the green is drivable, but that is mostly theoretical. Because of false fronts, the green plays much smaller than it looks. Chip shots not played towards the middle of the green can easily roll back off. It's still a pretty easy hole, but the difficult green does offer it some defense.
The fourteenth hole is yet another drivable short par 4, even shorter than the last hole. It's actually a really awkward distance for me, it's too short for a 3 wood, but too long for me to reach with an iron. Because of the bunker front-left, it's best to go for the right side of the fairway, but there's a bunker and a scrubby area with some trees and whatnot on the right. The green does have a bit of a false front, but it's not too bad. Otherwise, it's a pretty straightforward green.

The fifteenth hole is the only par 5 on the back 9. Yes, this course is a par 70. Unlike the third hole, which is actually more of a mid-length par 4, this hole is actually par 5 length. Still short, no more than 500 yards, but a legitimate par 5. It doglegs slightly to the right, along thick woods and some out-of-bounds. A slight fade will serve very well, as the fairway also slopes slightly to the right. Assuming the tee shot has been hit well, the second shot is a mid to short iron to a completely open green. It is a pretty tricky green though, with quite a few slopes to make putting and chipping interesting.

The sixteenth hole is a shortish par 4, and if you were to assign this course a "signature" hole, this would be it. The tee shot goes across a valley to an elevated fairway. The ideal tee shot goes about 200 yards to the flattest part of the fairway. From there, it's a wedge over a stream in another valley to the two-tiered green. You definitely don't want to be short on the second. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the hole, but it's definitely pretty unique.
The seventeenth hole is a short par 3. The only real issue on this hole unless you leave the tee shot really short or go really long (which, considering how far my wedges go sometimes, is a bigger issue than it should be) is the big giant slope at the back of green. Technically, there is a tier in the back, and I have seen the hole back there once. It was literally impossible to make a putt longer than a couple of feet. So, the hole is usually in the front half, and the slope presents...well, the sort of problems and opportunities any sort of big slope offers. I do like that picture up there. Definitely the best one I took of the course.
The last hole, fittingly, is a shortish par 4, playing slightly uphill to an elevated green. I don't know what it is, but I have a lot of trouble with this hole. Something about it just doesn't fit my eye. The drive does have to be fairly precise, as there are overhanging trees left of the tee, and a tee shot too far right gets blocked out by more trees. The second shot has to go over a reasonably intimidating bunker short of the green. Because of that, I like to keep my tee shot a bit back so I can go at the green with a mostly full swing. The hole really isn't that tough, the green is pretty straightforward, you just have to fly the second shot over the green.

So, that's Gunpowder Golf Course. It isn't fancy, but it's golf, and it's affordable. I honestly do enjoy playing there, because it really challenges my game. It puts a premium on accuracy and on short game, two things that I am not good and completely horrible at, respectively. And let me tell you, after several months, I have made...well, some progress. I've cut out the big hooks I'd been struggling. My chipping might be a little better, it comes and goes.

I'm not going to give out a numerical rating here. Let's be honest, if I were to be objective here, it wouldn't get a very good score. It's a pretty basic, bare-bone golf course. But that's why I like it. It's a good place for a simple, unassuming golfer to call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment